Friday, 22 March 2013

Friday Nights


Friday night.


I’ve had a long week and here I sit with a glass of wine, trying to figure out what to write for this week, sounds sophisticated doesn’t it? Except for the fact I woke up not too long ago from a nap because I’ve barely slept for the past few nights, worked, had classes and ran around all over the place today with my mum. So here I sit with a small glass of really nice wine in a glass that has the Roadrunner on it; not your average classy wine glass is it. Maybe I’ll start a trend.

I remember the days when Friday night meant coming home from work, chilling, taking a nap and hitting the road around 11pm to venture off to whatever club or pub was the happening. Spend a stupid amount of money, might repeat it on Saturday night and then back to work on Monday. Now, we pray that we make it to the end of the week without doing bodily harm to someone at work, pray we don’t have road rage driving home and hope the house is still somewhat clean. Because if you meet someone’s sock(s) at the front door and the twitch in your eye returns (and be very scared if it’s only one eye twitch) it’s safe to say you will probably lose it on the first person you see, including the cat. This is the highlight of your Friday nights now baby.

I was curious about what older adults these days do on a Friday night. Last year the girls and I would occasionally go down the street to a local bar/pub. For a while it was a happening place for 30-50 yr. olds, and then for some reason it died down. The place closed and I think it was sold to a new owner; haven’t had time to check it out the new place yet. Why did it die down? My guess is that we (being those 30-50 yr. olds) can’t afford to go out every weekend like we use to. We have bills to pay, mortgage, family responsibilities. Plus, we’re probably just too tired. The concept of date night is great, when you’re not tired, cranky, and actually feel like spending quality time with your other half and want to have a real adult conversation. We just don’t go out like we use to and it’s hard to for places that will cater to us for stay in business for long.

I Googled “things to do on a Friday for older adults” and got hits about insomnia, elder abuse. So I Googled again and got everything from taking a bubble bath, going to a museum, club (like I want to be in a sea of 20-year-olds) curling, dinner, movies, etc. There are things out there but it depends on whether you are by yourself or if you can drag someone along with you.

So with my roadrunner cup of wine, I sit and write. Later I will try to track down my teammates as we have a few projects to work on (remember my steps blog) and then pickup a medical textbook and read until I fall asleep. Welcome to the new Adult (sometimes student) Friday night. My Generation X peoples where are you?

Cheers,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment