Tuesday, 5 March 2013

U-Curve


I’m a lot happier now than I’ve been in the month. I quit my condo board, just too much on my plate right now. A few weeks back it was like if anyone looked at me the wrong the way I’d want to snap their heads off; then sit alone somewhere, usually my car and sometimes cry. I don’t know why I find comfort in my car but I just do.
School is still frustrating. I’ve done this b4 (not the online) so not sure why I find it such a struggle right now.  I talk to other mature students about how frustrating online courses are and then they tell me they also tried and gave up. Are mature students simply programed differently? Most of us didn’t grow up with laptops or IPods attached to us with everything easily accessed at the tips of our fingers.

 
The other day I typed in Google “30s 40s and unhappy”. I found a study a few years back called the U Curve that said we are at our unhappiness, depressed at this age. According to Prof Oswald "The 30s and 40s are therefore painful times when reality sets in but when you get older you've learnt to accept yourself”. Yep, I feel it. That we are in a U curve and currently at the bottom of the curve right now.
I am not alone, thank God. Reading this surprisingly made me feel happier.  Yes misery does like company.

Here’s one of the articles: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576872/44-is-the-age-of-depression-say-researchers.html.
I used to laugh at those Freedom 55 commercials, it’s looking real good these days.

3 comments:

  1. So according to this article we just have to hold on until we turn 70, then we will be happy again...just 40 more years to go...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait until you hit your 50's, I don't believe aging gets better unless you place your focus inwards on a spiratual level. A quick fix of plastic surgery has taken the place of anti depressants to bandaid the fact people are aging. I fall in the 40- 50 age group. I ask myself everyday, what happened? Where did all the time go?
    Each time a decade passes expect the good old U-curve!
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete