Saturday, 27 July 2013

Hot enough for you?

Yes it’s hot. No, not just hot, but sticky humid hot. My A/C barely turns off; not that I’m complaining its nice and cool inside. But I’m glad I won’t be seeing the hydro bill for it. I used to be on the Condo board so I would sometimes sign cheques for the monthly bills if one of the other board members was away. The bills for this summer will be high, crazy high. From the cold winter and this hot summer the monthly maintenance fees will go up again next year. That’s one thing I won’t be missing from living in a condo. The awesome view I have, not having to shovel the snow or cut the lawn that I’ll miss, but the monthly fees, no.
The ice machine in the emergency department kitchen is out of ice. The thing is as big as an 18 cubic foot fridge/freezer and it’s out of ice. We all know it’s out of ice but we keep trying to push that big button once in a while to see if anything comes out. Kind of like when you see those wet paint signs and you still want to touch it.
When you’re hot you should drink more fluids to keep yourself hydrated. I haven’t been to any restaurant patios during this little heat wave yet, but I imagine that they are packed or almost empty; as in too hot to sit outside even with a cool beverage in hand. However, if that cool beverage contains alcohol, once inside you not only will get you drunk but also rises your body temperature a bit. Like the 3 people I had in emergency today, who were found in different locations lying on the ground passed out from drinking all day in the hot afternoon sun and humidity; body temperatures of 40.9 degrees and higher.  Can you say heat stroke?
I searched for some “it’s so hot …” jokes and found the following:
·       It's so hot that I saw two trees fighting over a dog.
·       It's so hot I actually felt emotionally close to our air conditioner this morning; it completes me.
·       It's so hot that Donald Trump’s hair won't go outside.
·       It's so hot that I have found out (the hard way) that my seat belt buckle could be used as a branding iron.
·       It's so hot that you discover that it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.
We love to complain about the weather; it’s either too hot or too cold. It’s all part of our nature. Honestly, I think I would miss the change of seasons if I lived somewhere that was the same all the time. We’ve been living like we’re vampires for the past few days, only coming out when it’s dusk and the temperature is a few degrees cooler. Let’s try to somehow enjoy it. Yes a nice cool pool would help, but so can running through the sprinklers. If you have kids you can do this in public. If no kids, make sure you are with friends and beverage in hand, and in the backyard of your own property. This way the neighbors won’t call the cops about some crazy person running their sprinklers on their front lawn.
Cheers,
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment