I used to write because I liked writing my thoughts or
stories; actually let me clarify that. I have all these wonderful stories in my
mind; some make it to paper while others are still floating around up there. The
ones that do make it to paper will probably never see the light of day, but I
know that they are there. However for my medical documents class, which has us reading
a very dull medical document textbook about proper grammar and literally every
writing rule known to mankind, is really killing my passion for writing. Every
time I write something now I wonder if it’s the proper format. What comes
first, what goes where, what goes last?
Do I write like I speak? I think so. Or in my case, yah. Is
it always proper? The answer to that big ole question is, nope. I would probably
drive myself crazy if I had to constantly think about how every word relates to
the each other, or to the sentence, the paragraph, etc. Where’s the joy in that?
I understand that what we are learning is needed if someone wants to become a
medical transcription. I’ve even gone back to my other post/journals and looked
them over. The more we learn the more critical I’ve become; I did find a few typos.
It’s weird that you can write something, look it over a dozen times and not see
them. Then when you look a week later they stick out like a sore thumb. I find
myself looking and question everything I read now, even my silly romance novels
(don’t judge).
Most romance novels are
actually nicely written, not document textbook style but none the less well
written. I did buy a book once directly from the author at an event somewhere.
She talked it up really good so I purchased her “self published book” to
support her; she has the courage I lack. Now I’m no literate expert, but it was
so badly written I couldn’t even be bothered to finish it. Kind of like those 50
Shades of Gray novels. I like to read a few pages to see if I like the style
and content before I purchase a book (yes I ignored my own rule for the self published
one, but she was watching me), I couldn’t even buy them.
I still applaud these writers for putting themselves out
there, and putting pen to paper for all to see. One day soon I hope to have
that courage. It’s on my bucket list.
Ciao
Dee

No comments:
Post a Comment